Steve’s Ahi Tuna Poke Taco
Everyone makes and effort at Hawaiian style “Poke” and few nail it. First of all POKE is from Hawaii , accordingly so must the key ingredients. So here is mine.
1. 1/4 lb Fresh Ahi tuna (sushi grade) Get the best you can, the difference per pound is significant but no one wants to floss with their fish. Good tuna is ffrom the belly and has no sinew. chopped into very small cubes.
2. Ogo seaweed from Hawaii. You can get this on Amazon or NOH Hawaiian foods. Hydrate in water and use enough to be seen throughout recipe
3. Hawaiian Pink Sea salt. Large granules not the fine powder.
4. Avocado, cut into 1/2 in pieces
5. 3 tbl Macadamia nuts chopped. I usually find at world market or on line.
6. soy sauce, mirin, mexican lime, rice wine vinegar and honey.
7. 2 drops sesame oil (yes two drops NO more)
8. round wanton skins
9. black sesame seeds
10. 1 tsp chives, minced
11. 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
1. Combine, 3 tbl spoon each soy sauce (kikoman), prepared rice wine vinegar (prepared is sushi style), mirin (rice wine), and 1 tbl spoon honey and juice of 1.4 lime put on low heat and reduce by 1/3, then chill.
2. Combine, tuna, macadamia nuts, fresh ginger, ogo seaweed, two drops of sesame oil in mixing bowl and gently combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Use a taco form and deep fry wanton skins in the shape of tacos, drain oil.
4. Remove tuna mixture from refrigerator, add soy mixture enough to wet all tuna, add minced chives.
5. use Tea spoon to fill taco shells approx 3/4 full, top with fresh avocado, pink sea salt and black sesame seeds.
Serve immediately and drink with a cold Dai Gingo Sake!